Got a craving for corn chips? Here is a healthy alternative – a super food rich in vitamins and minerals… and without the fat!
Prep time: 12 minutes. Cooking time: Up to one hour. Store kale chips in an airtight container for up to three days.
- 2 tbs refined coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch curly kale, stems removed and broken up into 4cm pieces
- Preheat oven to 90ºC. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, grind oil and cashews together until mixture resembles peanut butter. Add and process all remaining ingredients except for kale.
- In a large, clean, and dry bowl, combine ‘cheesy’ mixture with kale. With your fingers, rub ‘cheese’ mixture into kale leaves until each piece is thoroughly coated.
- Bake for 1 hour or until kale is dry and crisp. If a few larger pieces are not cooked thoroughly, return the undercooked pieces to the oven for another 20 minutes, or until they are dry.
Dubbed the ‘Queen of Greens’ and ‘The New Beef’ among other things, kale is a nutritional powerhouse and one of the most vitamin-dense vegetables on the planet. Kale is high in iron, calcium, fibre and vitamins K, A and C. It is also choc-a-block full of antioxidants.
One of the healthiest nuts around, cashews are rich in iron, zinc, protein and antioxidants. Studies have shown cashews starve tumours and stop cancer cells from growing, too. The nuts are high in good fat and are beneficial to weight management.
It might turn your breath a little pungent, but garlic is great for your body. Recent studies show garlic’s hydrogen sulfide-boosting capacity has the potential to protect against various cancers including colon, prostate and breast. It also plays a significant role in reducing blood pressure, allowing the blood to carry more oxygen to your essential organs while reducing pressure on your heart.
ABOUT MARK MOON
Mark is one of today’s leaders in health and wellness, with more than 15 years’ experience from across the globe. As a celebrity trainer with a continued national and international presence, Mark promotes his well-balanced, holistic approach to fitness and lifestyle through media platforms worldwide.
Mark has created his own online health, fitness and lifestyle brand Get Fit Fast The Complete Workout System with workouts, meal plans and workout schedules available for download at www.markmoonfitness.com Mark is also a resident trainer on USA digital workout platform Fit Fusion, USA based iPhone application Go Flaunt It, and his home workout DVDs range is distributed through the USA by Watch It Now Entertainment at www.markmoonfitnessusa.com